Fatal Tractor Trailer Accident in Berks County
Early this morning, a tractor trailer was involved in a fatal multiple vehicle accident. The accident took place on Route 222 in Maidencreek Township in Berks County. It is known that two people have been killed and nine others have been injured.
The tractor trailer rammed into stopped cars, which were in front of it. It is believed that up to six vehicles are involved. The amount of damage to the passenger cars is massive. Most are crushed and one was resting on its roof. News coverage of the crash can be found at the following link.
This tragic tractor trailer accident in Berks County is a reminder to us all that these massive trucks can cause enormous injury on the road. Drivers of these potentially lethal weapons often have been traveling on the road for too long, are too tired and overworked. The government imposes strict standards for tractor trailers and their drivers involving maintenance and driving hours, which plaintiffs often can use to their advantage.
Some ways to avoid these tractor trailer accidents, especially during these plunging temperatures and around the holiday season . . .
• Make sure to leave adequate distance between you and the driver in front of you in case of a sudden need to stop – tractor trailers need additional time to come to a full stop. This simple tip can help reduce the risk of being rear ended by a tractor trailer.
• Do not change lanes in front of a tractor trailer unless there is adequate space to do so.
• Remember that if you cannot see the driver of a tractor trailer, he cannot see you either.
• If a road offers a car only lane, take advantage of it!
• Review your insurance policy to make sure that you are full tort in Pennsylvania and that you carry uninsured and under insured motorist coverage. Protect yourself and your family members in case of an accident!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a tractor trailer accident, call one of our experienced tractor trailer accident attorneys. They will give you a FREE legal consultation and an honest assessment of your case.